Facts about Childhood obesity
– Childhood obesity has tripled in the US since 1965
– 1 in 5 children in the US ages 12-19 are clinically obese
– 70% of obese youth ages 5-17 have at least one risk factor for cardiovascular disease
– In 2009, only 22% of youth ate 5 or more servings of fruits & vegetables daily
– Less than 40% of kids meet the US dietary guidelines for saturated fat
– The total cost of obesity in 2000 was $117 Billion ($61 billion in direct medical costs)
– 85% of adolescent females do not consume enough calcium. During the last 25 years, consumption of milk, the largest source of calcium, has decreased 36% among adolescent.
Keep your kids active!!